The Professional Training Option (PTO) is an alternative certification program approved
by the Florida Department of Education. This option is open to students majoring in
areas other than education. Students receive pre-professional level training in the
Florida Educator Accomplished Practices and participate in an integrated school-based
The PTO program is a pathway to prepare students majoring in a content area for temporary
teacher certification in Florida for that content area. Professional teacher certification
in Florida is attainable after a year of successful teaching in a Florida public school,
passing scores on relevant exams in the Florida Teacher Certification Examination
(FTCE), and other requirements as required by the State of Florida.
*A professional certificate is granted only after a candidate works with an employing
school district to meet the requirements for teaching. Learn more about Educator Certification.
To be eligible, students must meet the following requirements:
- Complete the PTO Application
- Major in a non-education degree program.
- Earned 21 credits in English, Mathematics, Science or Social Science
- GPA: FAMU cumulative GPA of 2.50 or better, Subject Area GPA of 2.5 or better.
- Recommendation from advisor.
- Successful completion of Leon County background clearance;
- Proof of health insurance and liability insurance.
- Maintain an overall 2.50 GPA or higher throughout the course sequence of the PTO.